The Government of the United States is now accepting applications from eligible Nigerians for its 2021 Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program (FVSP). The deadline for the submission of applications is 1st June 2021. See details below.
The Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program (FVSP) is a research fellowship award grants to foreign academics or professionals to conduct advanced research at U.S. institutions.
Two categories of grants are offered under The Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program: Research Grants and Program and Curriculum Development Grants.
- Research Grants: Awards of 3 to 9 months are offered for senior faculty to conduct post-doctoral research in any academic discipline at a U.S. academic or research institution. Applicants must hold a doctorate or equivalent terminal degree in their fields. Preference will be given to individuals who have at least three years of university teaching experience and a productive scholarly record.
- Program and Curriculum Development Grants: Awards of 3 to 5 months are offered for senior faculty or administrators to conduct research in any academic discipline at a U.S. academic or research institution. Proposals should be linked to professional duties and demonstrate how the candidate will use the knowledge gained to develop new courses, curricula, or other academic programs at the home institution. These grants are designed for university faculty or administrators with less experience and who may not have had recent access to research or instructional developments in their disciplines. A doctorate degree is not required, but applicants must hold a minimum of a master’s or equivalent graduate degree.
Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program Eligibility
- Applicant must be a citizen of Nigeria or a permanent resident, and should hold a valid Nigerian passport.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have not previously received a Fulbright scholar grant and without experience or limited experience in the U.S.
Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program Selection Criteria
Candidates are selected based on a variety of factors, that may include (but are not limited to):
- Academic qualifications
- Project feasibility
- Personal leadership ability
- Available grant funds
How to Apply for Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program
Applications must be completed online at https://apply.iie.org/fvsp2021
For Candidates in the South/ South- East/ South West of Nigeria please address the envelope to the Fulbright Program Officer, Public Affairs Section, U.S. Consulate General, 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos
For Candidates in the North-Central/North-East/North-West of Nigeria please address the envelope to the Cultural Affairs Assistant, U.S. Embassy, Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central Area, Abuja
You are welcome to NigeriaFulbright@state.gov with any questions.
The deadline for submitting online application and all supplementary documents is June 1, 2021.